What is a framing hammer?
A framing hammer is a type of hammer that is specifically designed to handle the heavy-duty tasks of framing and construction. It is typically constructed with a longer handle than a standard hammer and a larger head, which allows for more force to be applied to the nail or other fastener. Framing hammers are an essential tool for any professional or DIY builder.
What are the different types of framing hammers?
There are a few different types of framing hammers available on the market, each with their own unique features and benefits. The most common types of framing hammers are:
- Smooth face framing hammer: This type of hammer has a smooth, flat face that is perfect for driving nails in a clean, efficient manner.
- Serrated face framing hammer: A serrated face framing hammer has teeth on the face, which helps to grip the nail and prevent slippage.
- Milled face framing hammer: A milled face framing hammer has small ridges or grooves in the face, which helps to grip the nail and prevent slippage.
What should I look for when buying a framing hammer?
When buying a framing hammer, there are a few key factors to consider:
- Weight: Look for a hammer that feels comfortable in your hand and is easy to swing.
- Balance: A well-balanced hammer will help to reduce fatigue and strain on your wrist and arm.
- Handle: Choose a handle that is made from a comfortable, non-slip material, such as rubber or fiberglass.
- Face: Consider the type of face that will work best for your project, whether it be smooth, serrated, or